Western's Internship Program
An internship is a 12 to 16 month work term. Students are employed in settings which provide work experience directly related to their Academic Programs and career objectives. Faculties/programs currently participating in Western's Internship Program are: Engineering, Science, Geography, and Management and Organizational Studies. In certain cases, 8 month terms can be arranged. Internships begin between May and September, with some limited January start dates.
Benefits to Recruiters and Students?
Recruiters definitely see the benefits of hiring and training students with several years of academic education to take on major projects and responsibilities. Both students and employers may find that there is a good match of interests leading to a full time job offer after graduation. Internship students are regarded as regular employees taking on responsibilities far beyond the typical duties assigned to 4 month co-op or summer students.
- Any student who is approved to participate in Co-op and/or Internship Programs and who receives several offers in Round One, and turns them down without cause, will be withdrawn from the program and not permitted to apply for any additional postings.
- Any student who accepts an Internship or Co-op offer and then reneges on the offer prior to beginning employment will receive an "F" in the co-op or internship courses and will be required to pay the full fee.
- Any student who begins their Co-op or Internship employment and subsequently terminates their position prior to the end of the full contract term without cause, will receive an "FAI".
- Any student whose Co-op or Internship employment is terminated due to economic reasons and/or health/compassionate reasons, will be withdrawn (WDN) at the discretion of the Coordinator from the co-op or internship courses and will be required to the pay the full fee.
- Any student who is withdrawn from the Co-op or Internship Program due to academic reasons (ie: a scholastic offence), or who has been fired for cause, will receive an "FAI" in the co-op or internship courses and will be required to pay the full fee.
- The co-op and internship fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Late payment of the fees will result in the accrual of late charges at the current university rate. Non-payment of the fees will result in an academic seal.