Society of Off-Campus Students (SOCS)
Student Leaders (sophs) in the Society of Off-Campus Students (SOCS) not only get to experience the fast-paced and hyped-up excitement of Orientation Week, but are also committed to helping first year students throughout the year-long Western experience. SOCS provides an inclusive and welcoming community for first-year students living off-campus by offering increased accessibility to resources, events and activities throughout the year. The Off-Campus Soph Team is a group made up of highly motivated individuals that encourage the academic and social success of all off-campus, first-year students. While working toward those goals, student leaders can have the time of their lives along the way.
To Purchase Frost Week Tickets:
- Log into www.westerncareercentral.ca
- Click the "Orientation" tab on the left hand side
- Click the “SOCS Online Store" tab on the left hand side
- Check the Frost Week box, and indicate how many tickets you wish to purchase
- Pay online, or you’ll be prompted to pay in cash at the Success Centre (UCC 210)
- Physical bracelets will be given out during Frost Week, more details to come after you purchase a ticket so keep an eye on your inbox for details!
Visit https://www.facebook.com/events/797504313755076/ for more information!
Please contact Courtney Feeney, SOCS Student Coordinator/Head Soph 2017-2018, at email@example.com.
Coming in September 2017? Check out a Message from the SOCS Coordinator!
Be sure to join the Facebook group for incoming OC students, where we will be sharing lots of information and excitement throughout the year to come! Click here for more.
About the Program
The Society of Off-Campus Students is a university-run group led by upper year students, designed to help you make connections with other first-year students, have a student mentor, learn about the services at Western, and build lasting friendships.
SOCS Leaders/OC Sophs are high caliber student leaders representing all faculties who are carefully selected and extensively trained. For all SOCS Leaders, the first-year experience is still a fresh memory, and they are sensitive to the challenges faced by first-year students.
SOCS Leaders (Off-Campus Sophs) are committed to:
- Ensuring that all first year students are welcomed to Western in a positive and healthy manner.
- Meeting the needs of first-year, off-campus students by maintaining regular contact with first-year students via phone and email.
- Providing information about resources on and off-campus.
- Providing a support network for first-year, off-campus students in areas related to academic, social and personal development.
- Being a friendly resource for those first-year students that chose not to live in the residences on campus.
- Giving off-campus students the same opportunities and support systems as on-campus students.
How will involvement in SOCS improve your transition to university? You will...
- Be welcomed to the Western community with orientation activities.
- Have opportunities to meet other students and make new friends.
- Go to off-campus events and residence-matching events to provide you with the social and academic opportunities that students living in residence have.
- Be paired with an upper –year student volunteer who will address your questions and concerns.
- Be contacted throughout the year with important announcements and updates.
- Be connected with resources and information available on and off campus.
- Have enhanced connection to your faculty of study